Saturday, November 10, 2007

a lot of dilbert cartoons i think you'll enjoy

So I started this blog a few months back with the intention of writing in it, and I didn't. Now, it's back for real. I basically need a space where I can write whatever which is casual and free of format, yet which is published and not a diary, which kind of makes me feel like I'm a 14 year old girl. I guess this is the diary of the 21st century. It's not wholly dissimilar since I think there's a subconscious urge people have for others to read their diaries and really understand, to have a secret space they can go which if revealed, turns out to confirm that they're normal, that they're good people, that their problems the same things others have gone through. Which is of course the bad thing about diaries, that they're supposedly intensely personal, yet they seem to have this universal quality which means that you've read what they're about before you've read them- today I felt weird about that thing where I lent Shirelle that book, today I was afraid about talking to some people who intimidate me, today I got mad at my roommate. And they're frequently so cathartic in negativity. A blog, on the other hand, suggests an awareness that others will read it and is performative, yet delimiting- there are no requirements for publication or length or quality aside from consideration of an audience- an open letter which can be in any format. I think it's what I need now, to hail those who take an interest and show them what I write given their attention.

1 comment:

Veronica Fischer said...

Willie! I'm excited about this.